I confess that I have a very unique relationship with my 8th graders. After having the same class two years in a row, it’s difficult not to become attached to these kids. When I first became a teacher, I worried about how to relate to (and keep control of) the boys in my class. I’m a natural girly-girl and have always loved being around girls. Boys were a different story. To my surprise, though, building rapport and a good relationship with my boys has come almost as naturally as with the girls.
I love these boys and I will miss them dearly next year. But they make me experience the full range of emotions sometimes. I go from feeling like a harrassed older sister to a frustrated mom to a twelve-year-old girl again. But every minute I am with these guys, it is like Comedy Central. I have to admit … they are some of the best-behaved boys I’ve ever met (and that will sound shocking after you read this entire post, but it’s true). When you get down to the heart of it, they are, in fact, just … BOYS.
“You Know You’re One Of My 8th Grade Boys If …”
1. You “borrow” my post-it notes so you can make Kick Me signs for someone’s back.
2. You use my hand sanitizer on your face and belongings, and sometimes on other people’s face and belongings.
7. You release silent but deadly farts while I am instructing so that I never can quite identify
11. You lean back in your seat ALL THE TIME. So much so, that I have taken away your chair privileges and made you sit on the floor during class.
12. You write so tiny/messy that you have officially given me enough experience to become a professional handwriting analyzer or code decipher specialist.
14. One time, you hid UNDER my desk, pushing the drawer out so I wouldn’t see you. When I pushed the drawer back in, you scared me to death by making it “miraculously” open again before my very eyes.
18. You’re honest about what lessons of mine you’re bored with.
20. You once snuck over to the light switches while I was reading a scary story aloud and flashed the lights in a climactic moment. Everybody screamed.
21. You wore women’s panties over your jeans when we all went to see the movie, Twilight.
23. You keep up a running monologue throughout my lessons — I feel like a black gospel preacher sometimes with you always echoing and reacting to EVERY WORD I SAY.
26. You are one of the “quiet” boys, but your sweet, laidback personality distracts the girls on a daily basis.
27. You made me think you missed an easy TAKS question so you could watch my blood pressure rise and my face turn blue explaining WHY that was the wrong answer. Then, you said, “Just kidding. I got that one right.”
28. You signed your name in the grime coating my car.
30. You turn the lights out on me during Candy Cafe.
31. You use the word “fetus” all the time, because you like it so much.
32. You have had to personally conference with me at least once out in the hallway.
36. You told me I was the “Oprah” to your “Dr. Phil.”
37. You wore eyeliner for my music video … and you LIKED it.
38. You stapled your finger by accident.
39. You cry when you laugh.
40. You sat and talked to Mrs. Tolbert and me for an HOUR on a field trip just so the girls from the other school would stop trying to get your attention.
41. You think that the “so what” of good imagery is to “help the reader picture it.” You got a wake-up call on that one. (LOL)
44. You are reading this and realized that you fit one or more of these descriptions.
The list really does go on and on, so I’m going to stop here and end with these last few things:
You Know You’re One Of My 8th Grade Boys If …
* You succeed in your schoolwork, despite the above list.
* You know when it’s time to get serious and stop goofing around.
* You offer great insight on class topics and challenge me to be the best teacher I can.
* You have a truly good heart and look out for those around you.
* You know that I pray for you everyday you enter my room – that you grow up to be a man of honor and integrity.
* You know you will be missed terribly when you leave me for high school …